Alba; Miss Emma Frlse, teacher; wages $33 1-3; seventy pupils on register; average fifty-eight; house too small and
out of repair. This is Miss Emma's first term; and she has had a hard time, but she is one of the plucky ones that will
"dare and do;" she has fought it out on "that line," and her first school is a success; but it has required spirit, and muscle
too. The Alba school is crowded; the house is too small, and there is too much work for one teacher to do. The patrons
of the school should look to the interest of the children in this matter; a good set of pupils.
1872 Jasper County School Report by U. B. Webster, Jasper County Superintendent
A History of Jasper County, Missouri and Its People, Volume 1, page 99, pub. 1912, by Joel Thomas Livingston.
Alba School—Henry Hubbard, James M. Haworth and Wm. John, directors; J. S. Rees, teacher. Term of five months
began October 7th. District enumeration 70, enrollment over fifteen years of age 9, total 45, present 30. Building and
furniture second-class. Seating capacity 30. The Alba school has been hard to govern and the pupils have been allowed
to cut and otherwise injure the furniture. Under the management of Mr. Rees, who is now teaching his seventh term in the
county, the deportment is rapidly improving and the recitations are becoming more thorough. The directors have placed in
some new furniture, improved the interior of the school house and propose to do their part toward having a good school.
1878 Jasper County School Report by S. A. Underwood
A History of Jasper County, Missouri and Its People, Volume 1, page 104, pub. 1912, by Joel Thomas Livingston.
February 26, 1885
We received a pleasant call Saturday from Mr. Purcell of Alba. He informed us that they came near losing their school
house by fire the day before, it having caught in some manner near the flue and burned a hole through the roof three or
four feet across before discovered and put out. Source: The Carthage Press
January 23, 1890
We learn from Professor D. B. Wilson that his school at Alba is all broken up by the measles and Mr. W. N. Wharton
reports that the grippe has a foot hold on the school at Medoc. Source: The Carthage Press
1895 Jasper County Atlas shows the location of the school to be in the north part of town on Alice Smith's property.
The earliest record of an Alba schoolhouse is about 1870. A wooden frame building was constructed on
a lot owned by Alice Smith northeast of the intersection of Main Street and D Highway. This building was
enlarged to three rooms in the early 1880's. By 1893 the Alba School had two teachers, Mr. H. Church and
Miss Eva Cirlett. The enrollment at that time was 106 pupils. Two more teachers were added to the faculty
in 1903. A larger school building was soon needed and an eight room brick school building was constructed
in 1907 near the corner of Orchard and Walnut Streets. This building served the city of Alba through the 1920's.
A gymnasium was added to the building in 1927.
The school districts of Alba, Purcell and Neck City voted to consolidate in 1930 forming District 46. Bus routes
were formed in the early 1930's. In 1945, the seventh and eighth grade classes were moved to the Alba building
forming a junior high school. Grades one through six were taught in Alba, Purcell and Neck City. A lunchroom was added
on the north side of the Alba building in 1966. In the fall of 1967 the Alba C-46 School District consolidated with the
Webb City R-7 District. The Alba school building would remain in use as a grade school. The class of 1968 was the
last class to graduate from Alba High School.
In 1997 the Alba school building was deemed unsafe. A new school, Harry S Truman Elementary, was
constructed at the intersection of 96 and D Highways in Oronogo ending 127 years of education in the town
of Alba, Missouri.