In 1878 the original two rooms of the old Central building were constructed and Joplin closed out the first decade
with five school buildings (in its three districts) and employed fourteen teachers.
A History of Jasper County, Missouri and Its People, Volume 1, by Joel Thomas Livingston.
At a special election held February 7, 1883, the West Joplin School District voted $20,000 in bonds for the erection
of school houses; $16,200 was apportioned for the Central school building; $2,500 for a two-room school at Byersville;
$400 for the moving of the Byersville school to Perkins avenue (now the Garfield) and $900 for a colored school.
A History of Jasper County, Missouri and Its People, Volume 1, by Joel Thomas Livingston, page 267.
Located on the south side of 8th Street between Joplin and Wall avenues, where
Memorial Hall is situated today.
1888 Sanborn Fire Insurance map. Shows location at 9th & Joplin.
Building layout is the same on both maps. Note the wooden frame school
on the north side of 9th street.
1906 Sanborn Fire Insurance map.
Photo from The Joplin News Herald, Mining-Industrial Annual Edition, 1915.
8th Grade, Central School, Miss Baumb-teacher, Mr. John-teacher.
Girls: Ruth Davis, Marie Beechwood, Sarah Sandford, Ruth Fleischker, Gladys Basley,
Jean Wiser, Helen Stults, Anna Johnson, Frances King.
Boys: Walter Mickle, Otis Schilling, Harry Lytle, Edward Scherl, Patrick Malin, Campbell
Griffith, Howard Snaders, Joe Coombs, Bill Rising, Eugene Marlatt, Phillip Muening,
Ivan Wheeler, Clarence Smith.
Joplin Museum Complex photo.
1937, Miss Masters-teacher. Bonnie West-student