At a special election held February 7, 1883, the West Joplin School District voted $20,000 in bonds for the erection
of school houses; $16,200 was apportioned for the Central school building; $2,500 for a two-room school at Byersville;
$400 for the moving of the Byersville school to Perkins avenue (now the Garfield) and $900 for a colored school.
A History of Jasper County, Missouri and Its People, Volume 1, by Joel Thomas Livingston, page 267.
Joplin will build a new four-room school house this year and will also make a two-room addition to the East Joplin building, a
four room in South Joplin and two new rooms in Byersville. The new school house will be on North Heights.
The Carthage Press, July 7, 1892, page 2, column 4.